Monday, June 29, 2009
With only 5 more sleeps till the BrisStyle Indie Designers Market, the BrisStylettes are working the media big time this week, kicking it off with a segment on Channel 7's The Great South East last night. Check out the segment over here or read more about it here.
Saturday, June 27, 2009
Inspiration: the crisp, clean lines produced by laser cutting.
1. FREE SHIPPING - That Vintage Feather - Brooch - White Acrylic from Sophie Hill/that vintage
2. Empershand Studs from Isette
3. Laser Cut Felt Necklace Black 2009 from chiharusato
4. avant garde typography acrylic necklace (red) from plastique
for more fabulous etsy finds pop over to Charlotte's.
Thursday, June 25, 2009
Teeny critters coming to life on brooches for their big day out.
Each week there are a few comments about my pin cushion but I can't take credit for it, in fact it's rare that I sew something for myself so I nabbed this one from the oh so lovely tiny house.
The felt is 100% wool from Winterwood and is used for the brooch backs, the fabric is organic cotton canvas from Duckcloth and the upholstery fabric is a re-purposed sample soon to be made into Singleton button brooches like this one.
For more spaces or to show off your own, grab a cuppa and head over to Kirsty's.
Wednesday, June 24, 2009
Kristen from PlushYou! and Schmancy has bestowed the One Lovely Blog Award on my little blogging space.
I don't tend to bother blogging peeps with Awards however as we're coming up to the BrisStyle Indie Designers Market here is a little list of 15 BrisStyle blogs you must check out (oh and if you're in the 15 consider yourself awarded).
1. Jellygnite (aka Charlie and Grace)
2. Epheriell Designs
3. histoire de soie...
4. Hot Fudge
5. Jetta's Nest
6. Just Needs Salt
7. Kitty Boo Boo
8. Little Chrissy
9. Little Diva
10. Little Mimoo
11. Made by Maisie
12. Ruby 2 Go Go
14. The Small Stuff
15. grey grid paper. (Ok, Amy isn't a BrisStylette but she's new to the crafty blogging scene, she's a Brisbane Brown Owl and I have a feeling good things are going to come from her blog).
The rules of the Award are:
1. Accept the award, post it on your blog together with the name of the person who has granted the award, and his or her blog link.
2. Pass the award to 15 other blogs that you’ve newly discovered.
3. Remember to contact the bloggers to let them know they have been chosen for this award.
If you popped over from PlushYou! thanks for stopping by and please leave me a comment so I can visit you too!
Monday, June 22, 2009
Friday, June 19, 2009
This morning's inspiration: memories of the streets of Berlin.
1. Telespargel - Fernsehturm East Berlin Germany - Photography printed on wood - Postcard from beagleberlin
2. SALENeukoelln Forever Necklace from Rose, red Rose...
3. Berlin, Germany from Destination Yarn
4. Berlin, Germany - the Ampelmann - Photography Print from Yann Pendaries
For more shopping lists or to play along pop over to Charlotte's.
Thursday, June 18, 2009
Adding little faces to kitties and puppies.
It's just over two weeks now till the BrisStyle Indie Designer Market. If you're a Brisbanite pop by and say hi on Saturday 4 July at St Augustine's, Racecourse Road, Hamilton. It's going to be a huge day with over 50 BrisStyle stalls!
For more creative spaces or to show off your own check out Kootoyoo.
Monday, June 15, 2009
Saturday, June 13, 2009
Inspired by thoughts of clear skies, calm seas and winter sun.
1. Hello Sailor (Blue) - Coin Purse (Small) from chi designs
2. Swordfish from Chakra Pennywhistle
3. Fun Nautical Quilt from elizabeth wren
4. Modern Bean Felt Hair Clip - KUMO (mystic blue, soft white, aquamarine) from modern bean
For more etsy finds or to play along pop over to Charlotte's.
Thursday, June 11, 2009
Back to the drawing board with a smaller version of the car plush pattern. I think I have the measurements almost sorted. Third time lucky right?
Tiny ears, arms and legs waiting to be pressed.
And a bit of packing up and sending off of birds on the side.
Can you tell I'm struggling with focusing on one thing at a time at the moment. I'm now officially a week behind on sewing for the BrisStyle market but I feel ok about it, I still have just under a month right?
For more spaces or to show off your own pop over to Kirsty's.
Wednesday, June 10, 2009
You have got to check out the new Sewn website. Created by Sarah Fielke Sewn is an "online website revolving around the quilting and sewing community in Australasia with a strong focus on providing a forum to connect designers, suppliers, shops and customers."
There's loads of sections to explore including fabric news, book reviews, tips and tricks, free patterns plus guess who's on the list of Sarah's favourites, yep this little bird :)
Make sure you sign up for the Sewn newsletter while you're there!
Saturday, June 6, 2009
Thinking wintery thoughts, pulling my jeans out of storage and sleeping in as the sun rises a little later.
1. Raincloud Brooch from littlechrissy
2. Shortie Fringe Scarf - Denim Blue Suede and Levi from Beautiful Bridget
3. Vase Filler or Cake Toppers Wool Felt and Fabric Bird Bouquet - Set of 2 Denim Blue from Hey MieMie
4. indigo denim fiji dress from modaspia
For more lovely etsy items or to take part in Saturday Shopping List pop over to Charlotte's.
Thursday, June 4, 2009
Breaking up wholesale order production line monotony with the new issue of MixTape.
The tiny embroideries are for lavender birds and the vintage hankie needle case is from Selina's Vintage. There's a needlework one in her shop that's really, really cute, but be quick!
For more spaces or to show off your own head over to Kirsty's.
Wednesday, June 3, 2009
Tuesday, June 2, 2009
Congratulations Maggie! You are the winner of the two little brooches plus the mini stash of fabric and crafty supplies. Thank you to everyone who left a comment, tweeted, blogged or facebooked the giveaway. I'll be popping around to visit you all soon :)
And for those who missed out on the cute little brooches and simply must have one, these three are in the shop now!
Fabric Brooch made from re-purposed upholstery fabric.
Foxy Squirrel Brooch fox or squirrel? You decide!
Monday, June 1, 2009
Thea of Thea & Sami recently sent me a swatch of the linen she uses to screen print her fresh, modern designs onto. Obviously the linen is excellent quality and is now available for purchase in the Thea & Sami online store!
Name: Natural Unbleached Linen
Purchased from: Thea & Sami
Cost: $35 per metre
Service: Excellent, Thea is lovely to deal with.
Rating: This linen is 260gsm, it's very high quality and quite soft compared to other linen of the same weight. The site gives a very informative description of the linen manufacturing process and its environmental benefits. Because this is the linen used for their printed fabric, it coordinates perfectly with Thea & Sami designs.
I would personally use this linen for embroidery projects, the colour is the perfect shade for my lavender birds, embroidered pouches and notebook covers. Because it is quite soft I would also use it for my smaller softies like bunny.
Thea and Sami also have a range of organic and eco fabrics worth checking out as well as their gorgeous range of printed fabrics like Marguerite - Navy on Natural below.
Would I buy it again? Yes, especially as Thea is Brisbane based.
Have you purchased linen recently? Would you like to be a guest blogger for The Linen Quest? Leave me a comment with your details or contact me directly via the email contact in my sidebar to take part!